"Dr. Kate is one of those rare doctors who wants long-term solutions for the root health problems, not quick fixes for the symptoms, and she KNOWS her stuff! Very intelligent, constantly up to speed on the latest studies and options, wants to hear your input, and a fantastic sense of humor - she is pure gold!"
What is functional medicine?
Functional medicine is the future of conventional medicine. Incorporating ideas from integrative and holistic medicine, functional medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, focusing on the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. It views the body as one integrated system, moving away from the formulaic model of one symptom = one drug, one system = one specialist. Instead, functional medicine physicians look at the big picture, recognizing that any one system imbalance can spill over into and adversely affect another intimately connected system in the body. In a nutshell, functional medicine treats the whole system, not just the symptoms.
Rather than a “one size fits all” treatment plan, functional medicine is patient-centered and treatment is unique to you. It shifts away from the traditional disease- centered focus of medical practice to an approach that’s centered on the patient. As a physician deeply grounded in the philosophy and training of functional medicine, Dr. Kate Kass works with you to identify and treat the root cause of disease. She spends time with patients, listening to their histories and examining genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that influence long-term health, chronic disease, and quality of life.
Dr. Kass’ 5 Pillars of Functional Wellness
Beyond addressing acute health concerns, the ultimate goal of functional medicine is to create a sustainable strategy for long-term health. For specific treatments to work optimally, Dr. Kass’ 5 Pillars of Functional Wellness need to be incorporated into every wellness plan. These pillars are the foundation of Dr. Kass’ functional wellness philosophy and the key to achieving lasting health and vitality.
- Healthy gut function: Chronic disease and myriad other health concerns can stem from digestive imbalance and inflammation. Healing your gut is an essential component of true wellness, and Dr. Kass evaluates each patient’s symptoms, genetics, and food sensitivities to develop a customized diet plan.
- Emotional well-being: Not only does stress and emotional distress affect your mood, but it has a powerful physiological effect. Stress is implicated in the development and progression of almost any disease. Strategies for stress management are imperative to achieving a happy, healthy, and long life.
- Reduced toxin burden: The food we eat, the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the things we put on our skin result in a heavy toxin burden. Exposure to toxins affects our immune system, hormones, our cancer risk, and can even affect mental health issues. Dr. Kass works with you on ways to reduce your toxin burden in your everyday life.
- Balanced hormones [LINK TO HORMONE PAGE]: Your endocrine system reaches far and wide within your body to influence everything from mood and sex drive to weight and hair loss. Balancing your hormones as you age ensures a life of energy and vitality. As a specialist in hormone health and aging, Dr. Kass has many tools to help you optimize your hormone health as you age.
- Physical activity: Regular exercise and cardiovascular activity is our most powerful tool in preventing and managing almost any disease. Exercise in any form reduces blood pressure and heart disease, revs up your metabolism, melts off belly fat, reduces cortisol levels, staves off anxiety and depression, and lowers your toxin burden.
Working with you, Dr. Kass will not only help resolve any acute or chronic conditions, she will develop a long-term plan that incorporates all 5 Pillars of Functional Wellness so you can life your best life today and for many years to come.
Functional medicine: Testing, protocols & treatments
Functional medicine doesn’t dismiss conventional medicine. Rather, it uses best medical practices and integrates them into a more comprehensive, science-based, and individualized plan. It includes these leading-edge modalities:
- Comprehensive blood panels
- Advanced preventative screening
- Blood and saliva hormone testing
- Food allergy testing
- Advanced testing for gut function and gut infection
- Genetic testing
- Compounded medications
- Neurotransmitter testing
- Environmental toxin screening
- Reducing medication burden
Dr. Kass assembles a comprehensive health profile and individualized treatment plan for every patient. Leverage the proven power of functional medicine and contact Dr. Kass to begin your journey to optimal wellness.